Sunday, November 2, 2008

Go and Do!

Dear Family and Friends,

Among other things this week, I got a letter from the company that was interviewing me for a job this summer. The text reads:

"We wish to thank you for the interest you have expressed regarding employment opportunities. After careful consideration, we have decided that we are unable to offer you a position which would fully utilize your talents. However, you are a talented individual and we know that you will make a difference in any organization you decide to join.

We appreciate the time you have invested exploring this opportunity, and wish you all the best."

One of the nice things about this company (the one that doesn't want me) is that the interview process was based more on who I was – my goals and convictions – than on my past achievements. Their goal is to hire people who already fit their corporate ideology – people who fit in without having to adapt to the environment. From the beginning of interviews, I knew that if they didn't want me... then I probably wouldn't be happy or fulfilled working for them anyway. The rejection letter, for me, represents the Lord's hand in my life. He has promised to tell me if I begin heading in the wrong direction. He did.

I met with one of the faculty members from my Freshman Academy community on Wednesday. Her husband was the High Councilor over my ward last year. Yes, it's a very small world here at BYU. Anyway, I saw him (the High Councilor-husband) at a class fireside two weeks ago – the day I received my book contract from Cedar Fort. I told him about my experience; he congratulated me and then looked very deep in thought for the rest of the evening. At our meeting on Wednesday, my professor told me that her husband had been so inspired by my success that he had gone home and submitted a book he had been working on for years to my same publisher... and that they had just received word that Cedar Fort wanted to publish his book as well.

As I walked away from our short meeting, I felt amazing. When I am able to accomplish something incredible, I feel incredible. But when, somehow, something I do inspires another to even greater heights, the feeling is even greater. It reminds me of the parable of the ten lepers. How many people do we influence for the better who don't come back and share the tale? I definitely don't expect everyone I've ever met to tell me how I've influenced their lives... but it makes me wonder.

I'm not sure if I've shared the story of how I wrote 10 Days Until Forever. One night this past summer, I woke up shortly after falling asleep with an incredibly vivid prompting. "David, you need to write this book." All I could see in my head was a little boy asking, "How long until forever?" I was exhausted, but went downstairs, opened my laptop, and began writing. An hour later, after I had outlined the beginning and end of the book, I went back to bed. The next day I woke up early, wrote most of the pages (it's a children's book), and read them out loud to my younger siblings. I finished the book, edited it once, and later that week I submitted it to the only publishers who were currently accepting LDS-themed children's books – Deseret Book, Covenant Communications, and Cedar Fort. The book is called 10 Days Until Forever and follows a family that adopts a little boy. Each day, a member of the family reaches out to the boy to show him that he is a valuable part of their community, whether it's Mother making brownies with him on the first day or his sister letting him turn (and drop) the pages of her piano music. Each day he asks, "How long until forever?" At the end of the book, the family pulls together and accomplishes the incredible.

At first I expected the book to be rejected, since "every first-time author gets rejected," especially on the first round of submissions. I didn't want to get my hopes up... and I wanted to cut my teeth on rejection letters before I got one for the inspirational book I've been writing. Deseret and Covenant sent form rejection letters, but Cedar Fort was interested (as long as I un-edited the one part I had changed). The book should be available on shelves August 2009.

So my message this week is to simply go and do. The Lord wants to bless us. But He can't give us success beyond our dreams if we don't give Him the chance. Simply going and doing gives Him that opportunity. We may fail (over and over again), but eventually the Lord will guide us in the right path and make us into tools in His hand... and we will have an impact on the lives of those around us. Maybe the Lord will inspire us to write a book. Maybe it will be to make cookies for a friend... or to simply reach out to a loved one in need. Sometimes, as in the case of my faculty member, we learn about the incredible things that others have done. Often, however, our good influence may seem to go un-thanked, unacknowledged, unnoticed. But even if you can't see it and no one tells you... your simply being a faithful saint makes a profound difference in the lives of everyone you meet.

I know that the Lord is watching us. He takes notice of all the things we do and the effect we have on the lives of others. I know that if we will simply go and do (and follow the promptings of the Spirit), He will guide us and help us to really make a difference. He will help us to lift those around us by our actions, no matter how small they may seem. He will help us be missionaries!

I love you all!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search