Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful For: Food

I'm thankful for food. I'm thankful for the incredible variety of choices I have of things to eat, even if I only eat things that are healthy. I'm grateful for the peace that eating healthy food brings to my body and to my soul... and for the happiness that comes from watching others enjoy the food I make for them. I'm grateful for parents who were willing to let me be an experimental chemist in the kitchen... who never reprimanded me with more than a sour face when I made something that was truly awful... and who made me feel like a hero when I discovered a new technique or recipe that made eating more enjoyable.

I made vegan (well, almost - if you discount the anchovies in Worcestershire sauce) Cincinnati Chili last night. My little sister had lamented that it was once her favorite dish, and I decided to be creative. I soaked some soybeans, shredded them in the blender, mixed them with the rest of the ingredients, and made a few minor modifications. Amazingly, it was good enough that my siblings were lining up to "taste test" last night and showed their enthusiasm today at lunch by eating multiple bowls of pasta with the chili. The modified recipe follows:

Almost-vegan Cincinnati Chili


1 1/2 cups dried soybeans

1 quart hot water
2 chopped onions
3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (optional)


The day before you want to eat the chili, let the soybeans soak at least 4 hours in enough water to let them double in volume. That night, or the next morning, drain the soybeans and process them in a food processor or blender until broken into small pieces. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 3 hours. Serve hot over spaghetti.

Buon appetito!

3 comments:

Custom Search