Friday, November 14, 2008

Blank Check at the MTC

I went to the MTC on Monday and had two more incredible experiences. The first, from two sisters missionaries, was the promise that I would receive blessings beyond my imagination for following the commandments of the Lord. Now I only need to follow them. The next was an Elder who seemed a bit forward in his communication... he asked me about my family and if I ever intended to marry. I was a bit taken aback and responded that it took 2 people... and that I hadn't yet found anyone. Later in the lesson, he promised me that, if I would pray with faith, that the Lord would grant me my heart's desire with regards to my family.


As I walked to my car later that evening, I realized what he had promised. It was a spiritual blank check – like what had happened to King Solomon. The Lord would grant me my heart's desire with regards to my family. Solomon could have asked for wealth, fame, or power... but he asked for wisdom. What would I ask for? What really was the desire of my heart? I began praying out loud and spoke with the Lord. Only moments later, I realized what was happening. The Lord was teaching me a lesson in faith. Even though I want to find my eternal companion beyond almost anything else, there is something I want even more. I want to be the best companion I can be. I want to be a better son, a better brother, a better nephew and grandson and cousin and friend. And so that's what I asked for. I had a thought that maybe there were multiple lines on the blank check, so I then explained that I wanted to find my eternal companion as well... but if the promise was for only one desire, then I wanted to become a better man before I meet her someday.


Looking back, I realize how much I have changed. A year ago, I think I may have asked to find my wife or to understand why it wasn't yet time. Now, I am willing to ask for the spiritual help to become a better man. I've certainly changed; hopefully He can help me to become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search