Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Change... and Memories: October 11, 2006

Dear Family and Friends,
Lots of things are changing. Tomorrow are transfers, and my companion is going to Napoli. He was a bit shocked when he heard the news - he has only been here for 6 weeks and doesn't feel as if he has accomplished much. President took to heart making zones and districts larger, and the Florence 1 and Florence 2 zones have been united to make one Florence Zone. This makes no sense for non-missionaries. It means, though, that another companionship is opened to be simply normal missionaries (instead of Zone leaders). President closed 4 zone leader companionships, which should make the mission much more efficient.
That frees me up to do what I've always wanted to do - train again! I'll be finishing my mission here in Florence and I'll have the opportunity to again make the best missionary in the world out of some new elder. It's the perfect opportunity - the work is exploding here with dozens of new investigators and members who give us referrals. We have baptismal dates and progressing investigators and it would be difficult to have a better situation. Lucky elder. (I hope :) It has also made me smile a whole lot... and think about changes.
In our lives there are many changes. Changes in the mission field, changes in callings... and it is incredible exactly how much we can change from one day to the next. One day, we can live in one place, and the next be a totally different person. We truly are in charge of who we are and who we want to be. There is no one that can force us into a mold. Tomorrow my responsibilities change, and I can actually feel it hovering in the air. It makes me think of the distant New Year and the dreaded events that ensue shortly thereafter. How many of you have changed responsibility? It's like being at the helm of a ship and steering, then being relieved and going to sleep, only to get up and begin cooking or cleaning on deck. It is amazing how the Lord shapes us to His causes through the tasks we need to fulfil.
This last week was amazing. We saw tons of miracles and continue to see them. Monday we went to Zone conference and Elder Schultz from the Seventy came to teach us. It was very good. Next Tuesday Elder Uchtdorf (I hope you know who he is) is in Rome (he's actually there a bit earlier, but...) and we get a missionary-only conference. Fun, huh? We were told that he is talking with government officials (there are two possible reasons - to make the Church a Church (so we can get a temple) or to get a temple). I'm going to Rome tomorrow to find out who my new companion is.
Today we went to the Uffizi - probably one of the most famous art galleries in the world. I was sadly not impressed... but that's ok. It helped me realize much more about the things I really do appreciate. I'll need to take more time in the colossal gardens here in Florence, since I'll be here for another 3 months.
We found out this incredible invite to use with people!!! When you meet with members and then set up another appointment, simply ask, "Will you invite someone to be at our next appointment to listen to the message of the Gospel?" Also, Elder Schultz informed us that we needed to invite investigators, friends, family members to baptisms and to have the missionaries teach a short first lesson to everyone instead of singing during the time when the candidate changes into dry clothes. He bore a lot of testimony and I am excited to see it in action this Saturday.
I am happy. Very happy. I am grateful that the Lord can help us to be happy no matter what we are called to do. It always makes me think of a battlefront, or a track meet... where each one of us is called to do our duty. Everyone is important. We are all part of a huge machine with many, many wheels to turn. Whether we turn a small or a large one, we are turning. We will always have the opportunity to serve in the Church. I know this Church is true. I know that Jesus is the Christ, and that He restored His Church though the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. Read it! Study it! Ponder and pray about it! Please! I know that we have a prophet today. I love you all!
Anziano Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search